Friday, February 13, 2015

Catching up, traumatizing tile death, and delicious repercussions of the grocery challenge

Hello, my name is Lauren and I am a grocery addict. I have been clean for almost a month.

Well, it is 2/13/15. I have officially not been inside a grocery store for over a month (1/9/15 and going strong-ish). Okay fine, except for one night when I broke down and bought two bags of lettuce and some grapes because I was craving salad so badly. I was weak. It was so wrong, but oh so right. I've never been that thrilled to have a little mixed greens in my life. Note to self, add a nice lettuce mix to the seed order to prevent this in the future.

I have not been completely successful in not spending much this month. The house remodel always sneaks up and is like, "Oh by the way Lauren, you need to order $200 worth of waterproofing supplies or else your bathroom walls are going to rot off and you will be tragically crushed to death under a mountain of shattered subway tile and broken dreams."

FYI, this is what $200 of waterproofing looks like.
At least it is the first two coats of it.

Then I got a gym membership, because well, if the firefighters are going to have to shovel me out from under all that tile I want to look good under there. You've got to plan ahead for these things, people.

And I had to pay a vet bill. And the cats ran out of litter. And I felt badly for the birds and bought more seed. And I spent a small fortune on moth balls trying to get my new pet skunk to move. Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

I guess the moral of my story here is that life happens, and then my best laid hopes get a little waylaid. But not a lot waylaid, because I have still managed to not spend nearly as much as I have in the past, and my cabinets are looking much less like a hoarder's. I am actually going to challenge myself to extending the grocery free challenge a little further.

Okay, after I buy milk and some meat other than bacon, and some greens. But other than that one trip, no more groceries for March. I'm giving myself a $50 limit. We will see how that goes. Every time I eat out of those cabinets I just keep reminding myself that it will be one less thing to have to pack. One. Less. Thing.

This challenge has been a lot of fun in many ways. I have been forced to be a little more creative with my cooking - which is always interesting. I'm not so sure Captain America will agree, but I haven't really minded it. In fact it has given me a kick start to begin baking bread again. Because when your grandma gives you 40 lbs of flour for Christmas and you are really craving toast there is only one natural solution if you are abstaining from grocery stores.

Get in my mouth. Right now.

In other news I have two great bread recipes that I have perfected over the last month... And a fantastic cinnamon roll recipe that I found in a catalog and have been wanting to try when I have milk again. I hadn't planned on milking Sweetie Pie this year, but if I keep this up I may have to change that plan. Or figure out how to make almond milk from the three bags of almonds that I have. Hmm...

Sweetie should calve in the next month, by the way! I can't wait to meet my new little Sugar Cake, or Candy Heart (unless you've got more suggestions for a  Valentine's baby). Then we will have all the excitement of trying to find a second calf for her. She makes too much milk for one calf to keep her from being incredibly uncomfortable and having health problems. Sources say she can feed three calves at once. Yikes. I may have to pull a Cleopatra and take milk baths.

Hope you all have a happy and productive weekend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment